MORE
Germany charges two with Holocaust denial

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BERLIN — A far-right activist extradited from the United States and a Belgian – both accused of denying the Holocaust – have been charged with incitement, German prosecutors said Tuesday.

Germar Rudolf and Siegfried Verbeke are accused of “systematically” denying or playing down the Nazi genocide of Europe’s Jews in documents and on the Internet and of stirring anti-Semitic hatred, prosecutors in the western city of Mannheim said.

Denying the Holocaust is a crime in Germany, where it carries a maximum sentence of five years.

Rudolf, a 41-year-old German who published a study claiming to prove that the Nazis did not gas Jews at the Auschwitz concentration camp, was deported to Germany from the U.S. in November to serve a 14-month sentence for a 1995 conviction on similar charges.

Verbeke, a 64-year-old Belgian, was arrested in the Netherlands and also was extradited to Germany in November.

Prosecutors in Mannheim already are leading a similar but unrelated case against Ernst Zundel, a German deported from Canada last year.